Wednesday, August 24, 2011

You Are The Map Maker




This is one of the best books I've read all year, and I am so excited to share this with you.

'You Are The Map Maker' is a project by Bernadette Jiwa, bringing together insights from 13 of the most creative and resourceful entrepreneurs on the planet. Jessica Hische, David Airey, Mark Bloom and Chris Guillebeau are just some of the creatives who have contributed their stories and their advice.

Starting up littlemiso and working as a freelance designer is one of my happiest achievements, but the reality is that it is not easy at all - and sometimes the smallest hurdle is enough to fill you with self doubt and slowly etch away your confidence to be a 'creative'. How many times have I started a project and not gone through with it because I didn't think it would work? Or even worse - I can't even count how many times I've had an idea in my head and thought it was brilliant, but never made it into a reality because of that tiny inkling of self doubt that eats away at my confidence. (Is it really worth spending $X on it? Is it really worth all that time?)

Reading these insights from successful creatives is a reminder that every hurdle I have been through or am going through is exactly what they have experienced through their journey - and through honesty, self reflection and persistence - they have gotten through to where they are now. Sounds like common sense, but when you're in these situations - it's the best type of advice you can get…and it's DESIGN related.

Working in a creative field is always going to be different in a bank or engineering firm. This book is filled with advice from designers we look up to, have the same mindset and similar likes and dislikes.

Now enough love for the book - just GO READ IT. For FREE.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for loving the book so much.
    Hopefully the design helped that? ;-)

    Everyone at Believe in™

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely. I think it shows what an inspiring design it is when I am looking to stick some of the pages up as posters! Fantastic (and generous) work, which reinforces the insights of the book.

    ReplyDelete